China to refinance the completion of Abuja-Kano and Port Harcourt-Maiduguri railway projects.

    At the 3rd Belt and Road Initiative Forum in Beijing, China, the nation made a significant commitment to Nigeria by undertaking the refinancing and completion of the Abuja-Kano and Port-Harcourt-Maiduguri railway projects. The announcement was made by President Xi Jinping in response to a request presented by Vice President Kashim Shettima, representing President Bola Ahmed Tinubu. This move is considered a crucial milestone for Nigeria, as the funding for these projects has faced delays since their launch.


    China had initially agreed to provide 85% financing for the construction of these railway projects, with Nigeria responsible for the remaining 15%. The projects, handled by the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation, are considered legacy projects crucial for the nation’s economic development. President Jinping expressed his delight at receiving the Nigerian delegation, assuring increased investment in Nigeria’s power generation and digital economy.

    In addition to the railway projects, President Jinping pledged support for Nigeria’s exports, particularly in areas like peanuts. He reiterated China’s commitment to peace in the Sahel region, promising a continued crackdown on terrorists. President Jinping acknowledged Africa’s significant role in the world, expressing support for Nigeria’s active participation in international relations and upholding allies’ commitments.

    Vice President Kashim Shettima conveyed President Tinubu’s appreciation for China’s respect and non-political interference, emphasizing the enduring friendship that dates back to 1971. He highlighted the importance of China’s partnership and called for an upgrade to a comprehensive strategic partnership, underscoring the mutual respect and dignity that define the relationship.

    Moreover, Vice President Shettima discussed Nigeria’s plans to leverage its ties with China to enhance the digital space. He emphasized the country’s commitment to collaborating with Belt and Road Initiative member countries and emerging markets to contribute positively to global economic growth.

    This engagement reflects Nigeria’s dedication to fostering strong diplomatic ties, seeking technological advancements, and facilitating economic growth through strategic collaborations with global partners like China.

    Visit: to Read More NEWS.